Saturday, May 7, 2011

First Greens of the Year

I love spring when everything is green. As soon as the first flowers come up which is usually dandelions here, the children love to bring me beautiful boquets of flowers.

With all the sun and new greeness everywhere outside I was eager to eat some tender spring plants. But nothing is growing in my gardens yet. But the lawn if full of greeness so I thought we would gather and eat dandelion greens. So for supper last night, Josiah and I picked some dandelion greens to eat. The early spring ones are very tasty and nutricious.

My mother and sister, Sarah, are out here on a visit from BC. It is lovely to have them here for a visit. They enjoyed the meal with us which included: chili, salad and cornbread.

And here is the dandelion salad which was delicious.. It was full of dandelion greens, lettuce, avocado, tomato, cheese, tortilla chips and homemade dressing. Next I want to try frying up some dandelion greens in a bit of olive oil with garlic and sea salt. See, lawn weeds are very useful :)

1 comment: