Friday, April 22, 2011

The chickens are here!

Yesterday we went to the Farmer's Co-op store and picked up our 20 week old pullets. They are your basic brown layer type bird. They sould start laying in about six weeks but the children check many times a day to see if there is an egg :)We brought them home in a box and as you see here the children were so excited to see them once we got them in the door. The older two are very excited about getting these chickens.

I still have to put some wire on the coop so for a few days the birds are in the basement.Besides it snowed here so it is pretty cold out. I worked more on the coop today so it should be ready for them tomorrow.

This hen is Josiah's and he named her Rocky. I thought Rocky sounded more like a rooster name but I said nothing. the today I said somethingabout all the hens being girls and Josiah said "No Mom! Rocky is a boy! Can't you tell by his name?" LOL. I did tell him that is was a girl as only the girl chickens lay eggs. Now Josiah wants a rooster. Annah named her hen, Brownie and I named Samuel's hen, Henny.

AS soon as they are in their coop I will post some pics of that. I am enjoying our chicken journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment