Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Marriage

Tim and I have been married for almost eight years now. I have been thinking about marriage a lot lately. It seems that our culture thinks that marriage is supposed to make them happy and that their spouse should be a fulfiller of that happiness. Yes, this can be a a big part of marriage but it cannot be the main point if marriage is supposed to be "till death do us part". We are only human and will let each other down many times and if "happiness" is the point what do we do when we go through rough patches?



(This is the only picture I can find on the computer of Tima and I. I really need to get some more. This is from his Christmas banquet at UNB for the business students.)

Looking at the Bible though I see that the deeper meaning of marriage is to gain a deeper understanding of Christ and His relationship with us becoming more like Him in holiness and love (Read Ephesians 5).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZACkRe_W4Gg

This video explains what I am trying to say. It is about nine minutes but really worth watching. It is very encouraging and points towards a marriage that glorifies God. (Thanks to Renee Stam for "finding" this for me to "steal" :).

2 comments:

  1. Amen, this is a great post! I agree about the "happiness" part, so often people have the misconception that their happiness depends on (spouse, children, material belonging etc...)But true happiness comes from the Lord :-)

    Ps if you go on the you youtube link and click on {embed} tab then copy on you blog this will post the video :-) and if you want to link any other blog or site if you "highlight" the words that will lead you to their link and then use the (link) icon beside the one to download picture, that should work too :-)

    ReplyDelete